- Faculty profile link: https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/transport/pgr/9896/phil-churchman
Phil Churchman is a postgraduate researcher with the Institute for Transport Studies at the University of Leeds. Previously, he was a senior manager and consultant specialising in strategy, sustainability and technology. In 2019/20 he completed an MSc in Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia, winning prizes for best dissertation on climate change and highest overall mark.
Between 2005 and 2019, Phil worked primarily in the insurance sector:
- Chief Information Officer for Crawford & Company, a global provider of claims management services, responsible for IT strategy, development and operations for the world outside of the USA
- Director of Strategy and Planning for Aviva General Insurance
- As a consultant with insurance service companies, a leading global insurance broker and the NHS
From 1993 to 2005, Phil was a consultant with Bain, Accenture and Coopers & Lybrand. He led projects in sectors including chemicals, consumer goods, retail, industrial products, telecoms, high-tech and logistics.
Phil has taught business strategy and information systems to MBA students at the University of East Anglia and mentored students at Judge Business School, Cambridge. He began his career as an engineer and technical sales manager; and is a chartered mechanical engineer.
Phil studied Engineering, Economics and Management at University of Oxford. He is married and has three children.
- Political and sociotechnical perspectives of transport and energy transitions
- Facilitating transitions through effective policy- and decision-making
- Mixed methods incorporating qualitative research, choice modelling and multicriteria analysis